Nedjma Djouhra Ousidhoum نجمة جوهرة أوسيدهم
Postdoctoral Research AssociateDepartment of Computer Science and Technology
University of Cambridge
ndo24 (at) cam (dot) ac (dot) uk
I am a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Cambridge. I work on automated fact-checking for journalists with Prof. Andreas Vlachos. Prior to this, I was a Ph.D. student at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) where I worked on toxic content detection and evaluation under the supervision of Dr. Yangqiu Song and Prof. Dit-Yan Yeung. I am interested in natural language processing, computational social science, fairness, and machine learning. For more information, you can check my curriculum vitae and my Google Scholar.
- 2014-2021: PhD in Computer Science, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Hong Kong.
- 2010-2012: Master in Software Engineering, University of Science and Technology Houari Boumedienne (USTHB), Algiers, Algeria.
- 2007-2010: Bachelor in Computer Science, University of science and technology Houari Boumedienne (USTHB), Algiers, Algeria.
- Diversity and Inclusion Chair at ACL 2023.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee member (financial accessibility chair) at NAACL 2022.
- Reviewer for ACL Rolling Review (since November 2021).
- Reviewer for EMNLP 2021, ACL 2021, NAACL 2021, NEATCLasS Workshop at ICWSM, ACL 2022, NAACL 2022, EMNLP 2022.
- Secondary reviewer for COLING 2020, AAAI 2019.
- Co-organizer of the North African in NLP affinity group social at EMNLP 2020, COLING 2020, EACL 2021, NAACL 2021, ACL 2021, NAACL 2022.
- Fall 2022: Supervisor of Object-Oriented Programming, University of Cambridge.
- Summer 2022: Supervisor of 3 Summer projects, Pembroke College, University of Cambridge.
- Spring 2018: COMP4911 IT Entrepreneurship, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- Spring 2017: COMP4221 Natural Language Processing, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- Spring 2016: COMP4431 Multimedia Computing, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- Fall 2015: COMP1029Q C Programming Bridging Course, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- Nedjma Ousidhoum*, Zhangdie Yuan*, Andreas Vlachos: Varifocal Question Generation for Fact-checking in Proceedings of EMNLP 2022 (to appear). [PAPER] [CODE]. (* Equal contribution)
- Nedjma Ousidhoum: On the Importance and Challenges of the Experimental Design of Multilingual Toxic Content Detection. PhD thesis 2021.
- Nedjma Ousidhoum, Xinran Zhao, Tianqing Fang, Yangqiu Song, Dit-Yan Yeung: Probing Toxic Content in Large Pre-Trained Language Models in Proceedings of ACL-IJCNLP 2021. [PAPER] [CODE] [BIB] [PRESENTATION]
- Nedjma Ousidhoum, Yangqiu Song, Dit-Yan Yeung: Comparative Evaluation of Label-Agnostic Selection in Multilingual Hate Speech Datasets in Proceedings of EMNLP 2020. [PAPER] [CODE] [BIB] [PRESENTATION]
- Nedjma Ousidhoum, Zizheng Lin, Hongming Zhang, Yangqiu Song, Dit-Yan Yeung: Multilingual and Multi-Aspect Hate Speech Analysis" in Proceedings of EMNLP 2019. [PAPER] [CODE] [BIB]
- Nedjma Ousidhoum, Nacéra Bensaou: Towards The Refinement of the Arabic Soundex in Proceedings of NLDB 2013. [PAPER]
- Nedjma Ousidhoum, Asma Bensalah, Nacéra Bensaou: New Classical Arabic Soundex Algorithm in Proceedings of CIT 2012 the Second Conference on Advances in Communication and Information Technology.[PAPER]
- Title On Multilingual Toxic Content in NLP. Keynote at LateRAISSE Workshop (at LREC 2022). June 2022.
- Title Arabic Toxic Content Detection in NLP. "Arabic AI and Toxic Online Content Detection" Panel discussion at IWABigDAI. May 2022.
- Title Expectations vs. Reality: Lessons Learned from Working on Toxic Content Detection in NLP. Language Technology Group Seminar (Hamburg Universität). February 2022.
- Title Expectations vs. Reality: Lessons Learned from Working on Toxic Content Detection in NLP. Cambridge NLIP Seminar (University of Cambridge). January 2022.
- Title Expectations vs. Reality: Lessons Learned from Working on Toxic Content Detection in NLP. MilaNLP Group Seminar (Bocconi University, Milan). September 2021.
- Title Challenges in Toxic Content Detection. Language and Multimodal AI Lab (LAMA) Group Seminar (Imperial College London). August 2021.
- Title Normalizing the Experimental Design of Multilingual Hate Speech Detection. Group Seminar of the Digital Technologies Research Center (National Research Council, Canada). November 2020.